Go barefoot at Polzeath beach
The laid back atmosphere at Polzeath beach means you’re meant to kick off your shoes, let go of your cares and go barefoot all day.
Famous for it’s amazing surfing, Polzeath beach is just outside the mouth of the Camel estuary and looks out on Hayle Bay, from where the Atlantic surf rolls in.
Polzeath beach isn’t just about surfing. There’s something for everyone here. You could catch crabs rather than waves. Just hang out on the beach and in the beach-side cafes and bars. Or take a quiet stroll on the cliff top coastal path.
For such a small village Polzeath has shops with just about everything you’ll need for a week or two holiday, plus things you’ll like a lot rather than need.
There’s masses of pay and display parking, including on the beach but that gets busy in summer. Sadly, no dogs allowed on Polzeath beach in summer.
With news that David Cameron has bought a house in nearby Trevetherick, near Daymer Bay, you may bump into him and his wife Sam in the Polzeath surf or a Polzeath cafe.
The Polzeath beach postcode is PL27 6SS. This will take you to the beach car park.
Things to do at Polzeath Beach
Polzeath beach is a children’s paradise
Like many thousands of other children, I learnt how to love beaches at Polzeath.
- Rock pools range from ‘gigantic’, where kids can swim, to tiny where little ones can splash all day. They’re alive with shrimps, crabs and little fish, ready for the net.
- There’s a huge expanse of sand. Perfect for sandcastles, beach games, flying kites and getting sand in your hair and sandwiches.
- A freshwater stream runs down the beach. You’ll find yourself stepping over dams and channels that children have dug to make pools and pathways.
- Paddling and body boarding in the shallow surf is fun and safe, lifeguards are on patrol all Summer. Wetsuits and boards can be bought or hired from various surf shops.
- There are ice cream vans on the beach and ice cream shops in Polzeath village. Plus, pasties and doughnuts.
- For older kids there’s a number of surf schools on the beach, including the original Surf’s Up surf school.
- Buckets, spades, beach games, toys and many other childhood essentials are for sale in the various beach-front shops.
- If all that’s not enough, there’s a bungee swing, hair braiding and crazy golf at the top of the beach.
Polzeath beach is just as good for big kids and grown up’s too
- If you’re already a surf expert, and have all the gear join the ‘pros’ beyond the breakers. There’s plenty of places to hire boards and wetsuits if needed.
- Learn to surf with one of the surf schools. Surf’s Up surf school is the original. Also on the beach is Wavehunters Surf School , George’s Surf School and Polzeath Surf School
- Get out there on a body board, lots of shops to rent or buy.
- Grab a coffee, tea, beer or wine in a good choice of cafes, pubs and bars in and around Polzeath. Lots of choice for breakfast, lunch, dinner and takeaways.
- Walk the costal path from Polzeath. One way to Daymer Bay and Rock, the other through New Polzeath and Pentire Point. Stunning views whichever way you choose.
- Polzeath beach is a nature reserve. You could spot the seals, dolphins, puffins and many other animals and seabirds.
Shops in Polzeath
For such a tiny village Polzeath has some fantastic shops.
Fusion – Fashion clothing
A small fashion chain selling hot label brand clothing for men and women and gifts. Clothing brands include Religion, BellField, Jack and Jones, Only & Sons, Vila, Naked Youth, Vero Moda, Only and Jacqueline de Yong. Flip flops from Ipanema and Havaiana (for when you just can’t go barefoot). Gifts include pottery, textiles and tableware from brands such as Sophie Allport, Orla Kiely Caroline Walker and Cream Cornish. Fusion has been trading since 2000 and also has shops in Wadebridge and Padstow. Fusion is right opposite Polzeath beach.
Address: Fusion, Polzeath, Wadebridge, Cornwall PL27 6SP
Tel: 01208 862320
TJ’s Surf Shop – Boards and beachwear
Right on Polzeath beach, TJ’s Surf Shop sells all the wetsuits, surf gear, beachwear and games you’ll need. Plus, rent boards and wetsuits. This family firm started out in the mid 1980’s and are proud to be run ‘by surfers, for surfers’. They only sell brands that are designed for the surfing market and are all about surf lifestyle. You literally step off the sand and into the shop.
Address: TJ’s Surf Shop, Polzeath Beach, Polzeath, Wadebridge, North Cornwall, PL27 6TB
Tel: 01208 863625
Ann’s Cottage – Surf shop and beachwear
There used to be a petrol station and hardware store in Polzeath. It’s now Ann’s Cottage surf shop, selling wetsuits, boards, clothing and accessories. From small beginnings Ann’s Cottage has grown to have stores across Cornwall and claims to be one of the biggest surf retailers in Europe. A new Ann’s Cottage wetsuit shop has opened behind main shop. You’ll find all the big surf and surf lifestyle brands in store and online. Including Converse, Roxy, Animal, Rip Curl, Vero Moda, Passenger and many more. Check out their Polzeath beach webcams here. Other shops, including Wadebridge and Padstow can be found here.
Address: Ann’s Cottage Surf Store, Polzeath Beach, Wadebridge. PL27 6SR
Tel: 01208 863317
Ocean Blue Clothing – Women’s fashion and gifts
Independent retailer, Ocean Blue in Polzeath, specialises in womens clothing that is on trend, wearable and functional and a range of gifts. The say they ‘strive to offer our customers something new and fresh every season’. The staff are super friendly and helpful. From the original store in Polzeath, 15 years ago, they have now opened shops in Wadebridge and Padstow.
Address: The Parade, Polzeath, Cornwall PL27 6SP
Tel: 01208 869097
SPAR Polzeath – Convenience Store
Sells everything SPAR usually sells.
Address: The Parade, Polzeath, Cornwall. PL27 6SR
Tel: 01208 862913
Polzeath Beach car park prices
At the time of writing the Polzeath beach car park prices in season (15 March to 31 October) are:
- Up to 2 hours – £2.10
- 2 to 3 hours – £3.70
- 3 to 4 hours – £4.80
- 24 hours – £6.00
Please check prices here.